“AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION IS WORTH A POUND OF CURE.”
Everyone is looking for the cure to the student loan debt crisis. But a solution already exists.
This holiday season, give the gift kids won’t break, outgrow or lose interest in — an ounce of prevention with a 529 college savings plan.
529 college savings plans are tax-advantaged savings plans that can help families save for higher education while lessening reliance on student loans.
Here’s what we’re up against:
The average student loan payment is
$393 per month.*
Student loan debt is the
2nd – highest debt category, behind only mortgage debt.*
Americans collectively owe
$1.5 trillion on student loans.*
Ready to give the gift of prevention?
29 states have banded together to address the debt crisis and help more families save for higher education. Here, you can easily browse each of their plans in order to determine which is the right fit for you.
Select a state below:
Enter to win a $500 gift card
The only thing better than giving the gift of prevention this holiday season is winning it. Enter below for your chance to win one of four $500 gift cards to GiftofCollege.com, which you can put toward any state’s 529 plan. We are accepting entries until 11:59 p.m. (central time) on December 31, 2019. For official rules, click here.
I don’t like things that are complicated. It was just the smart choice, and an easy choice to make. So, when our next grandchild came along, it was just as easy – as soon as I got that social security number, I opened up a 529 savings plan. I opened one for everybody.”
The example used is hypothetical and for illustrative purposes only. It does not represent an actual investment in a particular 529 plan, nor does it reflect the effect of fees or expenses. It assumes the ccount earns a 5% annual return and that no withdrawals are made during the period shown. The final account balance does not reflect any taxes or penalties that might be due upon distribution. Your actual investment could be higher or lower. Before investing in any state’s 529 plan, you should consider whether your or the beneficiary’s home state offers any state tax or other state benefits such as financial aid, scholarship funds, and protection from creditors that are only available for investments in that state’s qualified tuition program. You should also consult your financial, tax, or other advisor to learn more about how state-based benefits (or any limitations) would apply to your specific circumstances.
For more information about 529 Plans, visit 529forCollege.com. Before you invest in a 529 plan, be sure to read the plan’s disclosure materials. They discuss investment objectives, risks, charges, expenses, and other important information; read and consider them carefully before investing. 529 savings plans investment returns are not guaranteed and you could lose money by investing in these plans.
Earnings on non-qualified withdrawals may be subject to federal income tax and a 10% federal penalty tax, as well as applicable state and local income taxes. Tax and other benefits are contingent on meeting other requirements and certain withdrawals are subject to federal, applicable state, and local taxes.
COLLEGE SAVINGS PLANS NETWORK OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
Ounce of Prevention Sweepstakes
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING. THE COLLEGE SAVINGS PLANS NETWORK (CSPN) DOES BUSINESS AS 529 COLLEGE SAVINGS PLANS.
1. Eligibility: This giveaway is only open to legal residents of the United States who are 18 years or older as of the date of entry and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of CSPN, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the giveaway. The giveaway is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of CSPN as final and binding as it relates to the giveaway and these Rules.
3. Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on November 8, 2019 and ending December 31, 2019. All online entries must be received by midnight Eastern Time, December 31, 2019.
4. How to Enter: You must enter to win on our website at 529forCollege.com/holiday. The entry must fulfill all giveaway requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of CSPN. You may enter only once. You must provide the information requested. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If You use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of CSPN.
5. Prizes: The Winner(s) of the giveaway (the “Winner”) will receive a $500 Gift of College gift card. Four winners will be selected, each to receive a $500 Gift of College gift card. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by CSPN. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted. No substitution of prize or request for the cash equivalent by the Winner is permitted. No transfer/assignment of prize to others is permitted unless the Winner does not respond to contact by CSPN within two weeks of initial contact. At that point, another Winner will be chosen. Acceptance of prize consitiutes permission for CSPN to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purpose of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
6. Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
7. Winner Selection and Notification: The Winner will be selected by a random drawing under the supervision of CSPN. The Winner will be notified by email within five (5) days following selection of the Winner. CSPN shall have no liability for the Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk email or other security settings or for the Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If the Winner cannot be contacted or is ineligible, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by the Winner of the prize offered in this giveaway is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY THE WINNER (AT CSPN’s SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN THE WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS THE WINNER OF THE GIVEAWAY, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS THE WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. Rights Granted by You: By entering this giveaway, You understand and agree that CSPN or anyone acting on behalf of CSPN and CSPN’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the giveaway, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent. By entering this content, You represent and warrant that your entry does not violate any third party’s proprietary or intellectual property rights. If your entry infringes upon the intellectual property right of another, You will be disqualified at the sole discretion of CSPN. If the content of your entry is claimed to constitute infringement of any proprietary or intellectual proprietary rights of any third party, You shall, at your sole expense, defend or settle against such claims. You shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless CSPN from and against any suit, proceeding, claims, liability, loss, damage, costs or expense which CSPN may incur, suffer, or be required to pay arising out of such infringement or suspected infringement of any third party’s right.
9. Terms & Conditions: CSPN reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond CSPN’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such case, CSPN may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by CSPN. CSPN reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. CSPN has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, CSPN reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
10. Limitation of Liability: CSPN and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors shall have no responsibility for any liability (including tax liability), illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to, the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
11. Disputes: THIS GIVEAWAY IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF UNITED STATES AND OF WASHINGTON, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Campaign, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Campaign shall be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Washington, D.C., having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e., costs associated with entering this Campaign). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
12. Copy of Rules/Winners List: To obtain a copy of the Winner’s name or a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: CSPN, 1201 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Suite 800, Washington DC 20004. Requests must be received no later than February 1, 2020, 12:00 p.m. CST.
13. Investment and Tax Information. The giveaway does not take into account a winner’s personal circumstances or other factors that may be important in making investment decisions. Investment returns in a 529 college savings plan are not guaranteed and the winner could lose money by investing in a 529 college savings plan. The giveaway is not a recommendation to invest in a 529 college savings plan.
The winner should consult his or her own tax advisor about the tax implications, if any, associated with contributions and/or withdrawals from his or her 529 college savings plan account. The prize may be considered income, and any and all taxes and fees associated with a prize and establishment of, and distributions from, a 529 college savings plan account are the sole responsibility of the winning entrant and/or the beneficiary of the account, as applicable.
14. Sponsor: The Sponsor of the giveaway is CSPN, 1201 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Suite 800, Washington DC 20004.
15. Facebook: The Campaign hosted by CSPN is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook.